Bungie has heard players' criticisms about the progression system in Destiny's first DLC, and said that it won't repeat the same mistakes again when it releases the next DLC, House of Wolves.
"Nothing specific to announce at this time, but the mistakes we made with the DLC1 reward economy will not be repeated," Bungie design lead Luke Smith said in a post to NeoGAF. Specifically, Smith was referring to gear from vendors invalidating the efforts of players who raided the game's Vault of Glass, and resetting talents when upgrading an exotic weapon.
"We want fewer barriers to equipping upgrades," Smith said. "The shard economies erect these barriers between players and the new piece of gear they just got. We're not intending to adjust the shard economy for this Tier -- we don't want to invalidate player effort (again). But removing the barrier between that new drop you're excited to get and actually being able to equip it as a member of your arsenal are something we will do going forward."
Hopefully, House of Wolves really manages to implement all these changes and reduce Destiny's grind to the point where it doesn't motivate players to invent elaborate contraptions that do it for them.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com
Mythbusters, the Discovery TV show in which Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage test the validity of a variety of myths, will take on the subject of first person shooters with the help of Doom developer id Software.
The special episode will feature id Software's Studio Director Tim Willits. "Is it really possible for someone to carry all those health packs, guns, and even a chainsaw?" Bethesda, a subsidiary of ZeniMax Media which acquired id Software in 2009 asks. "Using the DOOM universe and DOOM 3 BFG Edition for reference, Tim helps the team recreate a DOOM level in real life."
It'll be interesting to see what other myths the show will try to validate or bust, but I'm assuming they won't try to open a portal on Mars that leads to hell.
You can watch a teaser for the episode in the video above, and catch the full episode on 9 p.m. Saturday, January 31, on the Discovery Channel.
If you're a Doom fan, or a first person shooter fan in general, you owe to yourself to to watch John Romero, one of the game's original designers, play through and talk about it in Double Fine's Devs Play show.
Microsoft has released a new Killer Instinct trailer showing off Omen, Herald of Gargos, the fifth character joining Season 2 of the fighting game. The trailer also ends with a tease for the next fighter that will join the game, Golem.
We don't know much about Golem at this point other than that he's apparently huge, as you can see when he busts through the wall and into the trailer around the 1:45 mark. Microsoft's schedule for revealing characters has been pretty steady, so you can expect to learn more about Golem in the next few weeks.
Omen, which we've already seen before, will be available for free to Ultra Edition owners on January 30, and to Combo Breaker Edition owners on February 5.
Omen will be a bonus character, meaning he's not one of the eight characters you'd normally get with the season. At the moment, he's only available to those who bought the Season 2 pack, and Microsoft said it has no plans to sell him individually.
Killer Instinct shipped on the same day as the Xbox One launch, with Jago available to play for free. Players could unlock other characters and items by paying a fee.
Killer Instinct developer Double Helix was acquired by Amazon last year, casting doubt on continued support for the Xbox One fighter. Microsoft claimed the game would not be affected and said that the franchise, which it owns, would continue on.